Butter Chicken Biryani
FOR THE RICE
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (cardamom powder)
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
FOR THE SAFFRON MILK:
- 5 strands saffron
- 1/4 cup milk
FOR MARINATING CHICKEN:
- 600 g boneless chicken (breast or thigh fillets), cut into medium-sized piece
- 200g Poonjiaji’s Tikka Marinade
- FOR BUTTER CHICKEN BIRYANI:
- 200g Poonjiaji’s Butter Chicken Gravy
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 1 large onion, sliced and fried
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 tbsp fried cashew nuts, to garnish
- Rinse and soak rice in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat oil. Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cloves. Sauté, stirring constantly, for a minute. Pour in water. Add cardamom powder and lemon juice. Season with salt. Stir. Increase heat to high. Bring the mixture to a boil. As soon as water comes to a boil, add rice. Stir gently. When half cooked, drain and set aside.
- Place saffron and milk in a small bowl. Stir. Set aside for 10 minutes.
HOW TO MARINATE CHICKEN AND MAKE THE GRAVY
- Place chicken pieces in a large bowl. Mix in Poonjiaji’s Tikka Marinade and let it marinate for at least 3 hours for max flavor output.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan over high heat. Add marinated chicken. Cook until all the sides of the chicken pieces are well browned. Then add Poonjiaji’s Butter Chicken Gravy. Remove chicken from pan. Set aside.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- Layer biryani in the same pan you cooked chicken. Make sure the chicken pieces are in a single layer. Add half the rice. Top with half of saffron milk, half of herbs and 1/3rd of fried onions.
- Add the rest of rice, and then top with the remaining saffron milk, herbs and 1/3rd of fried onions. Drizzle with ghee. Cover with tight lid. Place the pan over low flame and cook (in other words “dum”) for 10-12 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can dum in the oven at 180C / 350F for 20-30 minutes.
- Garnish with fried onions and fried cashew nuts.