- 1 cup plain flour (maida)
- 2 1/2 tbsp melted ghee
- salt to taste
- 1 cup fresh toovar
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tbsp ginger (adrak) paste
- 1 tbsp green chilli paste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- 1 cup whisked curds (dahi)
- Poonjiaji’s Meethi Chutney
- Poonjiaji’s Teekhi Chutney
- chaat masala to sprinkle
- 4 tsp sev
- 4 tsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the fresh toovar and green peas in a mixer and blend till coarse. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, ginger and green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the coarsely blended toovar and green pea mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, lemon juice, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the plain flour, melted ghee and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and rub in between your palms to form a breadcrumbs like mixture.
- Knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough and stuffing into 12 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 3" diameter circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Place one portion of the prepared stuffing in the centre.
- Bring together all the sides, seal it tightly, pinching in the center.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame and deep-fry, 3 kachoris at a time on a slow flame for 8 minutes, turning them in between till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat step 11 to deep-fry the remaining 9 more kachoris. Keep aside.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- Take 3 kachoris and lightly crush each kachori between your palms and place it on a serving plate.
- Top it with ¼ cup of curd, Poonjiaji’s Meethi Chutney and Poonjiaji’s Teekhi Chutney.
- sprinkle a little chaat masala and finally top it with 1 tsp of sev and 1 tsp of coriander evenly over it.
- Serve immediately.