FOR THE VADAS
- 1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils) , soaked for 2 hours and drained
- 2 tsp roughly chopped green chillies
- 2 tsp roughly chopped ginger (adrak)
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 1/2 cups whisked curds (dahi)
- 1 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
- chilli powder for sprinkling
- Poonjiaji’s Meethi Chutney
- Poonjiaji’s Teekhi Chutney
- roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder for sprinkling
- black salt (sanchal) for sprinkling
FOR THE GARNISH
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
FOR THE VADAS
- Combine the urad dal, green chillies, ginger and salt in a mixer and grind to a smooth paste using approx. ¼ cup of water.
- Divide the batter into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry 3 vadas at a time till they turn light golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Keep aside.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- Combine the curd and the sugar in a bowl, mix well and keep the sweetened curd aside.
- Take enough water in a deep bowl and soak the vadas in it for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the excess water from the vadas and flatten lightly between your palms.
- Arrange 3 vadas on a serving dish and top with half the sweetened curd mixture.
- Top with a little chilli powder, Poonjiaji’s Meethi Chutney, Poonjiaji’s Teekhi Chutney, a little cumin seeds powder and black salt.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make 1 more serving.
- Serve immediately.